Friday, April 2, 2010

Guggenheim Museum, New York

Alyssa and I went to the Guggenheim here are some pictures of the building, we were not allowed to photograph inside the museum.












The Guggenheim Museum is a vital cultural center, it draws in many people all over the world to view the masterpieces that it houses. "The numerous exhibits consist of ideal projects where themes emerge including: the return to nature in its prehistoric state, the desire to climb the building, the interplay of light and space, the interest in diaphanous effects as a counterpoint to the concrete structure, and the impact of sound on the environment." (Guggenheim.html)
Today, the Guggenheim Museum is an ever-growing institution devoted to the art of the 20th century and beyond. The museum features many of Pablo Picasso’s works which immediately caught my eye because of how much his works differed from the other pieces displayed. "Picasso’s revolutionary artistic accomplishments brought him universal popularity and immense fortunes throughout his life, making him the best-known figure in 20th century art.
Picasso and his work were the subjects of unending analysis, gossip, dislike, adoration and rumor." (www.pablopicasso.org) Picasso’s compositions filled the world, and left permanent marks on every discipline he entered. The fist piece I walked up to was “Le Moulin de laGalette” 1900, oil on canvas. Since it was very dark I didn’t recognize it to be Picasso until I read the caption. The entire scene depicts the couples dancing as fashionable South Americans. I feel the painting bears the influence of symbolism, which expresses itself in its dark tone. The lamps burning in the dark inspires us to perceive the atmosphere of the Moulin de la Galette as something mysterious and even fraught with danger.
I was able to sense the time of year because of the way he dressed the people in the painting. On the left he placed a table with customers which formed a sort of bridge linking the wall painting in the middle-ground to the foreground. The majority of women in the composition the same looks with bright red lips and washed out faces. It is believed that the woman on the left is Germaine Gargallo who was important to Picasso’s closest friend, Casagemas with whom he had travelled to Paris. "The Moulin de laGalette lead the transition to the emotional composition of the Blue Period." (Wikipedia)
Picasso’s “Woman Ironing” Spring 1904, oil on canvas made me feel very depressed for the woman in the picture because I was able to feel her pain and suffrage. This piece was painted at the end of the Blue Period in a lighter but still bleak color scheme of whites and blueish-grays. This is Picasso’s archetypal image of travail and fatigue. He painted her with a long and narrow figure which made her size and angular contour reveal a distinct stylistic balance. "Picasso filled his subject with a poetic and almost spiritual presence, making her a metaphor for the misfortunes of the working poor people." (www.pablopicasso.org) I feel that his intention was to show sorrow and anguish by painting her hunched over with no emotion on her mouth. This was a very moving piece to observe and to be able to feel what the woman was for the moment you were staring at her eyes which were focused on the sheet she was ironing.
The next piece of Picasso’s that I liked in this gallery was “The 14th of July” 1901, oil on cardboard mounted on canvas because of the crazy brushstrokes and colors he used to create this work. This was a much smaller painting than the others that I have seen of his before. What I was first drawn to was the big white buildings and the French flag in the background of such a crowded street. The people in this painting had very little detail and almost appear to be blurred out of focus when I walked up closer to the piece. I had never heard of this painting, I don’t think it was a very popular one at all, however I liked the fact how I was able to see the cardboard through the oil near the edges of the painting. My eyes also read the 4th of July when I first read the caption because my brain is used to the date but I feel he captured the essences of a street scene very well. The bight reds, blues, and whites I feel made this painting work well, if he had used duller colors I don’t think it would that interesting to view. I wonder why he decided to paint which such happy colors but over all I enjoyed this piece just like I do all of his works and I actually felt part of the scene on a hot July day in Paris. The style of this work wasn’t cubism yet the shapes of his subjects appeared to be leaning towards it.
Picasso’s final piece that caught my eye was “Fernande with a Black Mantilla” 1905-6, oil on canvas because of its complete gray scale color theme. This piece I also questioned to be Picasso’s because of the abbreviated detail in the woman’s face. Although the face had detail it lacked emotion other than a disappointing or a solitude look, Picasso used big brush strokes to compose the background and the mantilla that the woman wore on her head.
I feel this piece was an investigation of space, volume, and perception because of the strokes he used which later lead to the invention of Cubism. This portrait of Fernande with a Black Mantilla is a transitional piece. This piece is still somewhat expressionistic and romantic, with its serious and dark tone with big lively brushstrokes. Fernande Olivier was Picasso’s mistress, which perhaps symbolizes the Picasso’s Spanish origins. The section of the portrait that drew my eye to was the dark blue “flower is object” with a lightly green steam which appeared to be resting on Fernande’s chest. I would like to know why he decided to make only that object in a brighter tone then the rest of the piece, yet I do feel that it works in this case. "The stylization of her face represents Picasso’s increasing interest in the abstract qualities and solidity of Iberian sculpture, which profoundly influenced his subsequent works." (www.pablopicasso.org) I think although the naturalistically outline of the painting signifies his experiments with abstraction, you are able to see this in his later works.

2 comments:

  1. heart of an international network of museums. ...
    www.guggenheim.org/new-york/about-us -

    the interest in diaphanous effects as a counterpoint to the concrete structure, and the impact of sound on the environment. ...
    tvmny.blogspot.com/.../100212-0428theverymany-guggenheim.html

    His revolutionary artistic accomplishments brought him universal renown and immense fortunes throughout his life, making him the best-known figure in twentieth century art. To say that Pablo Picasso dominated Western art in the 20th century is, ... popularity, much more than pendants to late 19th century Symbolism. ...
    www.pablopicasso.org

    Plagiarism is a serious academic offense....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fixed all the sentences that were not my own.

    ReplyDelete