Sunday, March 14, 2010

Mladen Curakovic

Mladen Curakovic
Yale museum of art.

Since I go to Albertus Magnus College and Yale art gallery is right down the road why not go and take advantage of it and spend few hours admiring awesome art.
The Yale University Art Gallery is the oldest university art museum in the western hemisphere. The Gallery was founded in 1832, when patriot-artist John Trumbull donated to Yale College more than 100 paintings of the American Revolution and designed the original Picture Gallery. This building, on Old Campus, was razed in 1901.
The Gallery's main building was built in 1953 and was among the very first designed by Louis Kahn, who taught architecture at Yale. A complete renovation, which returned many spaces to Kahn's original vision, was completed in December 2006 by Polshek Partnership Architects. The older Tuscan romanesque portion was built in 1928 and was designed by Egerton Swartwout. A 10-year renovation project is due to be complete in 2011.
The Gallery’s encyclopedic collections number more than 185,000 objects ranging in date from ancient times to the present day. The permanent collection includes: The Yale University Art Gallery’s permanent collection includes over 185,000 works organized into 10 curatorial departments. On view on the third floor are works by Giovanni di Paolo, Albrecht Dürer, Paul Revere, Wassily Kandinsky, Louise Bourgeois, and Edward Hopper and more.
When I was getting to the museum I have hit lots of traffic and construction however, awesome shops surround the museum and best of all one may go and get a coffee at star bucks. When I entered the museum I had to put my camera bag in the locker. I visited a lot of exhibits. However the ones that caught my eye were Paul Cezanne, Vincent van Gogh, Stuart Davis, and Monet, another one that I like was Edward hopper.
Since I have great love toward Vincent Van Gogh’s paintings I was fortunate enough to see the Nigh café painting on display at the museum. I was standing there looking at the details on the painting for more than thirty minutes before I realized that I have more paintings to explore. Another set of paintings that I found good and well done were Degas paintings of horses and jockeys. The reason why I found these paintings interesting is that they were painted in a way to make them look like they were taken by a camera and that they were photographs. This also can be said that there was a big movement toward photography.
The one painting I did not like or did not find interesting was Jackson Pollock’s painting. I guess I do not like his painting style just because being a graphic designer I look in to paintings to mean something more then just paint smeared all over the canvas.
Overall my Yale museum experience was a lot more then what I have expected it to be and the painting I would want to buy and own this time is Van Gogh Café. Next Museum I am planning on visiting is British Art Gallery in New Haven.

1 comment:

  1. Remember to cite your sources when quoting other's writing directly and to put it in quotation marks...

    Yale University Art Gallery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThe older Tuscan romanesque portion was built in 1928 and was designed by Egerton Swartwout. A 10-year renovation project is due to be complete in 2011. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yale_University_Art_Gallery
    A more academic approach to the one or two select works would improve this paper dramatically.

    ReplyDelete